Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #959 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sensitive View Post
Did the FPS genre beat you as a kid or something?
I don't have anything against the genre itself just the overratedness of it and the fact that there is so many games that it makes it more difficult to find ones that really stand out, I'm not saying there isn't any.

I love my old school first person shooters. Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Goldeneye, House of the Dead. Those are indisputable classics. And yes there are still great shooters out there, I'm just saying it bothers me that even though there's so many of them there hasn't been as much evolution as I'd like there to be and so many of them are derivative.

Goldeneye 007 set the gold standard for the console FPS, and 12 years later it seems a lot of games are pretty much the exact same thing just with better graphics and more multiplayer options. Yet a lot of people still think 007 is the best shooter ever, despite the graphics looking like balls by todays standards.

I don't want the genre to die, I want it to evolve, I'm tired of them all having the same cliches like rugged space marines and HP Lovecraft throwaway alien bad guys, and the exact same graphical style. I admit there's still innovative titles, BioShock's look and setting was a breath of fresh air, and I love that the Metroid Prime games actually have, you know, COLOR. I just find it sad that the System Shock games are still the most original first person shooters out there and they're over a decade old.

I want to see more innovative shooters like that, and games with more unique visual styles. I'm not saying they have to be cutesy. Just... different than this.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 09-30-2009 at 04:29 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote