Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anthill - Anteater's Reviews of the Curious & Obscure
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #67 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Hölderlin - Hölderlin's Traum (1972)

Track Listing

1. Waren wir (4:53)
2. "Peter" (2:52)
3. Strohhalm (2:20)
4. Reqiem für einen Wicht (6:32)
5. Erwachen (4:20)
6. Wetterbericht (6:34)
7. Traum (7:20)

Folk has always been a genre that I've held in high esteem for reasons both understandable and in ways that I can't quite put into words. Regardless of whether its simple or being blended with a multitude of other genres, there's usually something of interest for me. There are always pleasant surprises, twists, turns, and usually a hella lot of great playing. And best of all, most of its is absolutely timeless, conjuring up visions of nature, the past...even what may lie ahead of us.

However, this debut from German folk group Hölderlin is on an entirelly different level than even some of the classics, a little-known pastoral wonder that strikes a precarious balance somewhere between Fairport Convention at thier most blissful and nightmarish landscapes that fans of Comus's First Utterance will find deliciously familiar. It is also curiously psychedelic at times, though given the time period such is not surprising.

Instrumentally, the elements we all expect from folk all reside here; there's the flutes and stringed acoustics as well as bongo drums, but with a nod to Jethro Tull we also have guitar and bass, which give Traum a progressive rock feel at times. The vocals, while sung in German, are quite lovely, as showcased in pieces like "Wetterbericht".

Overall, this is a very vivid work. The playing, the singing, the mood-setting, everything is top-notch and evocative in the best sense of the word. You'll see mountains at sunset, forests where man fears to tread and beautiful rolling hills of fertile green at dawn's breaking.

Fans of folk music, especially of the somewhat strange variety, should pick this up immediately.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote