Music Banter - View Single Post - This
Thread: This
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Hi, JayJamJah,
I've read two of your posts in the songwriting section and decided to comment on this one, since it appears to be an example of how you incorporate history and myth into your writings to create a social commentary.

I feel the main point of this piece is to describe how in government or society older people who come up with bad, militaristic plans get stronger, younger people to carry them out, and your piece encourages the reader to question this. For example, I interpret the last line, "Souls of the Emperors, Dynamite Dreams," which I feel is one of the strongest lines, as saying that the destructive plans of these older rulers get carried out by the violent younger generations.

The line that sticks in my mind the most is this one:

because although I don't know if this is what you meant, the way *I* choose to interpret it is as follows: the concept of a violent apocalype as the end of humanity and all life on earth is a myth created by forefathers (as part of religions dependent on the idea of "judgement" to try to control people's actions), and we can free ourselves of this myth is we are simply ignorant of it (as would occur if we do not have this myth taught to us by the white-haired, aged individuals perpetuating it). I usually read more into poems than the authors intend to have in them, but I thought I'd share anyway how I'm interpreting this line!

Your writing here does remind me a lot of rap (which I'm currently trying to learn more about), with a strong rhythm, frequent rhyming at the ends of lines and many internal rhymes, as well, such as when you write "torn at the seams, seems like it's all just a way to forget."

An interesting, thoughtful piece!

--Erica
Immensely grateful for your response.

I love how you reacted to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote