Music Banter - View Single Post - Tin Hat
Thread: Tin Hat
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Music Addict

Default Tin Hat

I am curious to know if anyone else in here is into this group. I'm unsure as to which genre I should have posted this under, but after some thought, I pegged this one the most appropriate.

Equipped with chords and melodies I've heard nowhere else, this group has been crucial in my exploration of chamber music. They have the capability to tie together jazz, classical and the blues with an eerie tone of nostalgia. Yet, at the same time, their music never fails to simply float in the lightness of sound. I always find something I've not noticed before while re-listening to them. This feeling combined with nostalgia from a new sound is more than enough to keep me coming back for more.

Members:

.Mike Orton (guitar, dobro)
.Carla Kihlstedt (violin, vocals)
.Ben Goldberg (clarinets)
.Zeena Parkins (harp, accordion)
.Ara Anderson (trumpet, harmonium, glockenspiel)

All multi-instrumentalists who are musically involved and driven beyond Tin Hat. To read more on their other works and side projects, you know what to do.

Discography:

.Memory Is an Elephant (1999)
.Helium (2000)
.The Rodeo Eroded (2002)
.Book of Silk (2004)
.Everything Is Illuminated (Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2005)
.The Sad Machinery of Spring (2007)

So, this is not the example I wanted to present because I like their older stuff a little bit more, but this is all I could find for now:

This song is from the album Book of Silk (2004). My favorite album is Memory is an Elephant. It's possible I could hook it up with links if anyone is interested. The only album I've not heard is the MPS they did for Everything is Illuminated

It's been awhile since I've made a thread because all the ones I've started thus far have been shit. As routine, feel free to move it elsewhere, if need be.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote