Music Banter - View Single Post - The OFFICIAL Trip Hop Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #43 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
You said in an earlier post that Massive Attack didn't create Trip Hop but now you are saying they are the original trip Hop band?
What? I said "Massive Attack, like, created trip hop." Then I said that they were the original trip hop group. How am I being inconsistent?

Quote:
DJ Shadow followed the accepted Trip Hop sound of fusing hip Hop electronic beats with other influences to create a certain ambience. Trip Hop is not defined by it's vocals or lack of. The whole sound is about a certain ambience and melding of genres of which DJ Shadow is a major proponent with his debut.

How the hell is this NOT Trip Hop?:

If anything, Endtroducing... is hip hop, it's hip hop production. It's made almost entirely out of sampling. That's what hip hop started as, that's what instrumental hip hop is. Why can't Endtroducing... be hip hop? Is it too good to be, so we have to call it something new like "trip hop"? Why do so many people need to devalue unique hip hop?

Endtroducing... wasn't intended to be categorized in a genre, though. It's a deep, deep world where genre isn't meant to exist; it's the crushing of classification.

Last edited by Jester; 10-07-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote