Music Banter - View Single Post - Squirrel Bait Family Tree ~ Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

A part of me doesn't want to stop the Will Oldham reviews - he's made so much great and varied music and I'd like to talk about it for a lot longer. But this is not his thread so I'll leave him alone for now. Anyone interested in learning more about any Will Oldham project can find incredibly detailed information at The Royal Stable which is a website dedicated to all things Will Oldham.

Next up:
The Sea and Cake

The Sea and Cake are one of the most interesting of all 90s indie rock bands and they have continued to make relevant music with their rare combination of sincerity and talent. This is a group of highly skilled and trained musicians who could have had succesful careers in far more commercial music (from pop to classical) but instead chose to play in a rock band in Chicago back when indie still meant independent. They do their own thing. Their thing is laid-back, jazzy, lounge rock with a fast precise beat courtesy of the Squirrel Bait family's percussion genius, John McEntire. The band also includes the prodigous talents of Archer Prewitt (mainly guitar) and Sam Prekop (mainly vocals).

This is another band in the Squirrel Bait family who deserve an entire historical analysis but here they will get 3 albums reviews:

The Sea and Cake (1994)
Nassau (1995)
The Fawn (1997)
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote