Music Banter - View Single Post - Tore's Treasure Trove v2.0 - Album Reviews!
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6underground View Post
Damn nice review.

I had never heard of them until this.

You definitely have me interested in the earlier stuff. Their 2003 release seems like a good starting place for me, in theory -- not exactly of the beer-bellied variety, and I think I'd prefer a stoner undertone more than a whimsical one.

Does that one get your approval too?
The earlier ones are also fine albums, but from start to end they're not as good for me. Still, the songs have tons of style and attitude, but the mainstream appeal is rather less than on their last one and the songs are stylistically less varied which is part what makes the albums a little less likeable.

So, less variation and less mass appeal. There are good and bad sides to both, I think. On the upside, they've got tons of attitude and style and the cool factor is rather high (I think).

Here's Birthday Pony from their 2001 debut, "...And Then Take You to a Place Where Jars Are Kept"! Note that this is the old singer, Papa Doom.

edit :

The bassist and the guitarist also play in Duplex band "Black Debbath" which is a more whimsical stoner rock/doom metal band. They were quite similar back in the days and I think the bands have diverged more after Keyboard, Oh Lord. Black Debbath's songs are mostly in norwegian except their album "Welcome to Norway" (2001) which is a kind of doom metal tourist guide. Here's the song "Mongo Norway" from that one which is about the night life in Oslo.