Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #670 (permalink)
NumberNineDream
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Jackhammer sent me:

PURE REASON REVOLUTION
The Dark Third (2006)

JH sent this album saying that I should like it for I'm a Pink Floyd fan. He was right, I loved it! It's PRR debut album, released in April 2006.

That was a hard album to review, as my case with all other prog rock music. As it is hard to directly sink into them. For the first five listens, I did enjoy the album very much, but couldn't know why. But the more I listened to it, the more I loved it and understood it. I've been listening to the album ever since I got it.

Track Listing:
01. Aeropause
02. Goshen's Remains
03. Apprentice of the Universe
04. The Bright Ambassadors of Morning
05. Nimos & Tambos
06. Voices in Winter / In the Realms of the Divine
07. Bullitts Dominæ
08. The Twyncyn / Trembling Willows
09. He Tried to Show Them Magic! / Ambassadors Return

There's not much of a story in this album, more of a theme. "The Dark Third" refers to the third of our life spent sleeping and dreaming.

The album begins with "Aeropause", a 5 minute-long instrumental track. The smooth guitar successfully gets you relaxed and ready to begin wandering through PRR's dreams. From the second track forward, the songs become more and more complex. All the instruments become blended perfectly with the four harmonized vocals. I didn't feel there's something special in the voices, but that is what makes it perfect. The voices are used more as some kind of instrument.

Then comes the 4th track, "The Bright Ambassadors of Morning", which is my favorite track of the album. A track that can be slightly regarded as an homage to Pink Floyd. The title is borrowed from lyrics of PF's "Echoes", and the track's guitar progression reminds us of PF's "Wish you were here". The 5th is another favorite of mine, a refreshing faster rhythm, a change from all of the tracks above.

From this point forward, the remaining tracks are more in unison. It's hard to separate them. The band changes from melody to another, while you're so captivated you don't even notice the change, you just love it. Until you wake up at the end of the album.

The lyrics are extremely hard to decipher all along the album, and because I put the lyrics in a very high position I had to search them. And to be honest, I wasn't disappointed at all. The lyrics are very similar to the melodies, fresh and dreamy.

I can honestly give this album a 9/10.
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote