Music Banter - View Single Post - The Musical Thoughts of +81
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
+81
Rats off to ya!

Default The Musical Thoughts of +81

Well I drank too much coffee and now I can't sleep so huzzah a new journal thread is born. Please don't expect much from this, I don't have the worlds greatest writing skills or even decent ones. I just plan on writing some experiences and perhaps somewhat reviews based on music that has affected me in some way.

So to start, here's an ever so thrilling and most likely grammatically horrendous little tale about...

Descendents - Liveage! (if you can't read the giant font)

Back in the day when I was just a young +81 I knew little of the resources for discovering new music. One day on a trip out of town I took a gamble on an album completely foreign to me. The album was Liveage by The Descendents. I knew nothing of this band aside from hearing their name mentioned in the NoFX song ’13 Stiches’. NoFX being one of my favorite bands at the time, I decided to go for it and purchase the disk. A strange decision starting out with a band based on a live album but that’s the way things were. On the ride home I pop the CD into my trusty walkman and press play. Only a few seconds in and then you hear the shouting of the word ‘All’. “This is considered a song?”. Alright, we proceed. As I go through the songs I find myself quite draw in by the drumming of Mr. Bill Stevenson. Something about those snare fill where just right. The bass lines were so fast and upfront. I just couldn’t get songs like ‘I Want To Be a Bear’ , ‘Coolidge’ and ‘Myage’ out of my head. All of the songs were thrown at you so quickly yet tightly held together. I must have listened to the entire album about four times through in that first sitting,. It was just so intriguing. To this day it remains my personal favorite Descendents album and one of my favorite punk albums in general.

Well there we are. Entry one complete.

+81 is offline   Reply With Quote