Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite movies of all time
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #115 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Hmhm, here are some of the films I've appreciated the most during my life :
  • The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - The strange world of Wes Anderson appeals to some, but not all. Both me and my GF want to be part of team Zissou. My favourite movie with Bill Murray in it. I guess Groundhog Day would come second.
  • Blade Runner - Amazing movie. The entire atmosphere of the movie is so tangible. My nr. 1 cyberpunk for sure with Akira coming in at second I guess.
  • Aliens - I'm also a huge fan of this film. Sigourney Weaver is so perfect in her role as action hero Ripley. Again, the atmosphere is perfect, the sets are so believable, the suspense is tangible. Perhaps my favourite action movie with other Cameron films like the two terminator movies and True Lies following up behind.
  • Brazil - Terry Gilliam directed this film about poor Sam Lowry who becomes a victim of a society driven by rules and excessive beauracracy. The dark humour fits this ultimately futile and somewhat sad story perfectly. It's a complex movie and it may be confusing at first, but it gets better with each subsequent watching.
  • The Fisher King - Another Terry Gilliam movie and a drama which has a story too long and complex to summarize here. Suffice to say it is brilliant in story and cast and if you can at all identify with the characters in this movie (most in their 20s and up should be able, I guess) then you can't help not like this movie. My favourite from this director and if any movie ever made me have to swallow hard to keep from choking up, this is it.
  • Big Fish - Perhaps not the typical Burton film, but definetly my favourite from him. Ed Bloom has been telling tall stories all his life, but now he's bedridden and almost at the end of his days. His son feels he doesn't know his father because he doesn't separate fact from fiction. In the film, Ed tells the story of his life flavoured with fantasy which makes for a heartwarming and lovely fantasy/drama film. Ewan McGregor's finest role!
  • The Changeling - A horror movie in which a composer and widower tries to unravel the mystery behind a child's death. George C. Scott does a superb role and this film has everything I could want from a serious horror movie. One of my favourite horror movies of all time and a must-see for the older crowd here, I think. Underrated!

There are many more I like, but right now, I think that's the cream of the crop for me .. although I'm sure I forgot some titles.