Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs that DEFINE Metal
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
M.C. D
Groupie

I would say it is hard to say that metallica isn't the world's greatest metal band but there are those that are close.

I guess I am more on the serious side of things. I never fell for Motorhead, I guess because they had a sense of humor to their music. Like I never got into Van Halen either or other bands that take a humorous angle on things.
I also never got into Black Sabbath, never liked Ozzy's voice.

My metal list:
Pantera
Metallica
Megadeth
Testament
Slayer
Fear Factory
Machinehead
Biohazard
Life of Agony
later Judas Priest
select Iron Maiden
some Anthrax
Flotsam and Jetsom
Sepultura
Sacred Reich
Corrision of Conformity
Suicidal Tendencies
Linkin Park

Those are the bands that defined heavy metal in the 90's for me (I was a child of the 90's). Of course my list is not complete as I can't remember all of the band's i thought were great. I also used to be into some death metal as well. In any case, these were the more heavy bands, there are others on the fence like Alice in Chains or Soungarden, who were alternative and also heavy. And like I said I wasn't into bands that were had more of a sense of humor kind-of-deal, so they are kind of absent but I am not saying unimportant. The late eighties and early nineties made "late" glam rock, alternative and rap huge. I believe it also made metal huge as well.

Metallica made a big imprint with the "One" video on Headbangers Ball. For better or for worse, "Enter Sadman" opened them up to alot of people.
M.C. D is offline   Reply With Quote