Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Radiohead Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #2722 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfAtTheDoor View Post
If an artist has created a song, then it's upto them however they want it to be broadcast, whether it be in a film, on a disc or on a sh*tty advert. The whole concept of selling out is ridiculous and is only championed by people who do not want the general public to hear their favourite bands music.

A small-town band make a stadium-rock album, they've sold out.

A big-time band make a movie soundtrack, they've sold out.

Iggy Pop does car insurance adverts, he's sold out.

Iggy Pop selling car insurance wasn't a crime against humanity because of its contrast with the punk idols image, it was a crime against humanity because the adverts in question were so bloody annoying.
The concept of selling out is going against your beliefs or morals in order to obtain material possession or gain something. Which is something that people have done.

I do believe the term is used too loosely, and I do agree that if a band wants to license their song, it's their business and it's not selling out, but selling out is like when 'Against Me!' went onto a major label.

I wasn't bothered too much that they'd spent their first few albums ranting about how DIY they were and how being punk was important to them but then went directly to produce music under a major label, but it was what happened.

But sometimes, like in Iggy's case, he's done enough, he gave you good music for a long time, let the man do what he wants!
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote