Music Banter - View Single Post - Melting Pot Vs. The Salad Bowl (Culture Wise)
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

melting pot... salad bowl... the one they fed us in social science class was that Canada was a mosaic...

either way i think it's very much a two way street. there's has to be a balance between the new people entering a country and that nation's identity.

i remember a few years ago there was a push to have Sharia law recognized in Ontario. for those unfamiliar Sharia law sees homosexuality as punishable by death for the most part, limited freedom of speech, women can be treated as property in public, etc.

now if a Muslim wants to move into Canada that's great. no issues there, if they want to continue worshiping the Qur'an that's cool too. but that's not what was happening, the push was to have the law of the subculture recognized as law on the provincial level.

at that point i have to say no. seriously though, how does creating a double standard of acceptable behaviour benefit either culture? the free and accepted behaviour of all Canadians is defined within the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, when you emigrate into Canada and become one of its citizens, this, is the document that details your social freedoms. if you don't like it or don't think it should apply to you because you want to adhere to the methods of your old country then DON'T MOVE! honour killings have no place in Canada!

to carry on peaceful religious, traditional, and cultural celebrations is a wonderful thing that really does add more flavour to any country. but to try to implement the laws of the nation you left behind into a new country is both subversive and insulting to your new home nation especially when they fly in the face of acceptable behaviour in the new country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote