Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Default Weekly Albums #12

Album: 1. Those Poor Bastards – Satan Is Watching
Year: 2008
Genre: Gothic Country

This was the first album tagged with the label of “gothic country” that I have acquired and it definitely served as a fine introduction to the genre. The album portrays the sadness, hard times and difficulties that I have learnt to be the cornerstone of the music in a manner that hit me really deep. Some stretches of the album contain lyrics that are almost spoken instead of sung and personally that was one of the most interesting parts to an album I have heard in months. The one draw back is that the final two songs haven’t hit home yet after 3 listens but I am sure they will come around. 9/10

Highlight: This World Is Evil

Album: 2. Gram Parsons - GP
Year: 1973
Genre: Country

After closely following Bulldogg’s thread on Gram Parsons I felt I had to hear this music for myself as it sounded so interesting. Well, to begin with the album failed to live up to my expectations after even a couple of listens it just didn’t do anything for me. The only aspect that saved the album is the female vocals, especially in the first couple songs. I can see why people vote them as a great duet. I would recommend Sweetheart Of The Rodeo (A definite 9 or 9.5/10) any day though, that is a perfect album, obviously The Byrds though, not GP. 6/10

Highlight: Still Feeling Blue

Album: 3. Ween – GodWeenSatan: The Oneness
Year: 1990
Genre: Alternative Madness

What a mish-mash of music, WOW!!!! My first thoughts when I listened to the album as an untrained listener was that it was a concoction of a few bands, seeing as I haven’t heard anything like it before, I tried to compare them to someone else. What I came up with was: 1 part Capt. Beefheart, 1 Part Fugazi, 1 part The Fall and 1 part complete neglect for the human mind. Although I would not recommend it to anyone who does not enjoy their ears being bashed continuously from all angles and by various blunt objects, anyone looking for something new or to get out of a rut, this is definitely for you. The first track could arguably be the best break-up song ever. 8.5/10

Highlight: You ****ed Up

This week’s was a bit short due to exams at school and the new sporting season kicking off. I’m thinking of changing it up for next week, this format is getting a touch boring. If anyone has any suggestions then do shout, my mind is blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I've always been secretly obsessed with this song while many other Radiohead fans I know tend to dislike it. I think it's catchy, nice, a little cute... I really enjoy it.
I understand the obsession, it is a great song. I don't know why Pablo Honey doesn't get more love.

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote