Music Banter - View Single Post - Who is the Greatest Musical Talent in the Rolling Stones
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
kvincent5555
Groupie

I agree with the comments that the Stones are a unit. Like John and Paul, there isn't much sense choosing between Keith and Mick, because the contrast, chemistry, love and hatred between them are what made the band.

It's hard to know for sure, but I don't think they would have survived the 60s without Brian's influences, pushing them beyond rock, blues, and integrating other instruments. At the same time, when Brian burned out, I think the strong, talented, rootsy guitar sound of Taylor came along at just the right time. From what I've seen, Keith's playing at the time wasn't good enough without Taylor to help drive their sound along; and I don't think the raw, dirty sound of their classic run from @68-@73 would have had the same impact without him.

I agree with the comments saying Wyman was underrated. Keith has often been credited with their best riffs, but some of their highest impact songs like Miss You, Sympathy..., Bitch, and Live With Me--just to name a few--were bass-driven.
kvincent5555 is offline   Reply With Quote