Music Banter - View Single Post - Lateralus' Musical Meanderings
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Lateralus' Guide To...

Music Festivals

I love music festivals, and I go to at least a couple every year, and this summer I've got a few great ones lined up. However, I always find myself coming across people at the festivals, or bringing friends with me who know nothing about music festival etiquette and find themselves not having a good time because of this. So I thought I'd put together a survival guide of sorts.

1. If you're attending a multiple-day music festival which involves camping, DO NOT under any circumstances set up camp anywhere near the portable toilets. It may seem convenient at the time, but as the hours wear on you will understand why it is not a good idea... also bring your own toilet paper!

2. Set up your camp near a landmark or something that stands out so you can remember where your tent is. Stumbling around probably intoxicated and trying to find your tent when it is dark, crowded and smelly is NOT fun.

3. Dress sensibly. Especially if you are a girl, because girls tend to be the stupidest when it comes to music festival attire. If you were high heels, your feet will not only be sore but probably bloody and mangled. If you wear a miniskirt you will most likely be groped by herds of guys for the duration of the festival. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting dirty.

4. If you plan on drinking, make sure to brings LOTS of money. Drinks will most likely be overpriced and taste like piss. If you plan on eating, the same rule applies. Don't waste all your money on booze and remember to have water handy.

5. Be prepared for: mud, dust, sunburn. Also, dancing in the mud like a dirty hippie may seem like fun at the time but you won't think so when you realise you have to spend the rest of the weekend looking like this:

6. Avoid taking cameras and video recording devices into the crowd, and if you have a mobile phone keep it in your pocket. Not only do these objects risk getting crushed, but as I learnt the hard way one year, the crowd is often sprayed with large amounts of water.

7. Get an itinerary! There's nothing worse than missing a great band at a festival because you didn't know which stage they were playing at and at what time.

8. If you can, try to volunteer to work at a festival you're really keen about. You get to go for free, often get special backstage access, and only have to 'work' for a couple of hours and then get to use the rest of the time to enjoy yourself!

9. Bring as little valuables as you can, and if you do bring valuable items keep them on you at all times or keep them locked and hidden in your car. Tents and campsites are a huge target for invasion and pinching things. If you're camping with friends and have a few tents between you, set them up so they the entrances are all facing each other - seems simple but is a pretty nifty security trick.

10. And as a final checklist, make sure you also remember to bring: ID, fully charged mobile phone, a hat, sunscreen, water, food that doesn't need to be refrigerated, toilet paper, lamps or torches, portable chairs, warm blankets, a backpack (can often double as a pillow), and a good attitude! Yay, I'm lame!

Last edited by Astronomer; 10-12-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote