Music Banter - View Single Post - WolfAtTheDoor's movies that he definitely should've seen before... review.
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
WolfAtTheDoor
ironing your socks

Spirited Away

Spirited Away is a film that I have placed high on my 'things to do' list countless times, yet somehow never got around to actually viewing it. Since seeing the above image and being intrigued/disturbed by the faceless, erm, 'No Face', I came to the conclusion that it was a film that I would no doubt enjoy. Fantastical story combined with beautiful artwork; how could it possibly go wrong?

The problem with my preconceptions of Spirited Away is that I have thus far read no negative reviews. It was a crossover sleeper hit, therefore attracting no scathing cynicism or hype backlash, meaning that my expectations for it were horrendously high. Upon viewing it, I am a little disappointed and not nearly as captivated as I assumed I would be.

It begins with a wonderful introduction to the surreal Spirit World, full of charming and imaginative characters that are given just enough screen time to capture our imaginations yet retain their mysteriousness. The artwork is gorgeously detailed, and is one of the best-looking films I have ever seen. The first 40 or so minutes continue in this delightful and charming manner. However, after we are introduced to all the bright characters Spirited Away has to offer, it is revealed that there is very little substance to this stylish adventure.

The plot, for the most part, is completely irrelevant. It only serves as a reasoning behind our hero Sen's meeting of the various inhabitants of the Spirit World. Likewise, Sen is completely irrelevant. She offers nothing new or original to the child-protagonist format, always approaching life with complete selflessness as is the case for most of these young do-gooders. It can be argued that Sen's goal of rescuing her parents and the confusing sub-plot between her and boy-dragon Haku is not what we as viewers are supposed to focus on; that Spirited Away is not about the destination, it is about the journey to reach that destination. This would be completely acceptable if the film continuously paced itself as it did in its first half. But that is not the case, and as Sen's adventure finds itself unable to lead us to any new locations or meet any new characters, the breathtaking creative streak displayed previously simmers down until it is merely a pretty shell of its former self.

In terms of Visuals, Spirited Away could not be improved. It is a glorious sight to behold, and if you can forgive it for its shortcomings as an adventure then your eyes are certainly in for a treat. However, as a story, there are too many plotholes and under-developed characters for Spirited Away to be considered a great movie. It is a flawed, dense, beautiful creation that is perhaps a little too well-loved for its own good.

Rating:

7 cartoon frogs.

Last edited by WolfAtTheDoor; 02-12-2010 at 01:55 PM.
WolfAtTheDoor is offline   Reply With Quote