Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #91 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Ok so, I don't actually have a problem with my computer because it died last night during a storm. I've decided I spent way too much money on that piece of crap so I'm gonna buy a new one. Seeing as how there are a few computer savvy people now around, I thought I'd ask if someone could recommend a configuration (I live in Croatia so none of that "Oh just get a Dell or somesuchshit) with components I could probably find here.

I only use the computer to surf, download films, books and music and play music. The only more demanding job I do with it is converting DVD9 films into DVD5s...

So, can anyone suggest something that would be good for that purpose? I'm thinking a big hard drive (fast and silent if possible), but how much and what kind of RAM? What about the processor? Obviously, I probably don't need the top of the line stuff.

Here's just some specs I'm pulling out my ass right now, but feel free to discuss them and if anyone wants to edit/add, that's great.

For your needs, the following should be adequate:

• RAM: 2gigs, DDR2 or DDR3, no biggie on the brand, but Kingston and Corsair are the big two.
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo mobile (if you're getting a laptop, if desktop, just straight Core 2 Duo). There are other processors out there, but personally I know that the C2D's are fast, cheap, and reliable. In any case, you won't need more than 2 ghz of clock speed and a 4 MB L2 cache. FSB at 800 mhz should be fine as well.
  • HDD: As big as you want, but you'll be more limited with a laptop. Either case, you want no less than 7200 RPMs.
  • Graphics: Whatever the scenario, at least 128 MB will be fine if you're not gaming.
  • Audio: Try to make sure your onboard soundcard is 24 bit if you're not planning on getting an external soundcard.