Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you Writing now?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
dark shadow
Music Addict

I'm currently focusing my writing on essays for my English 101 course. I'll share an excerpt from one paper i wrote as a response to competitiveness in people as a response to the short story "Arm Wrestling with My Father"

"The competitive spirit has in many ways been the driving force behind many of society’s greatest achievements. This sheer determination to win, whether for survival, respect, or simply the feeling of accomplishment that often accompanies it, has led to many breakthroughs in our world. Some of these accomplishments have been great milestones in the history of man such as the Wright brothers enjoying the first powered flight or NASA putting a man on the moon. Others have been terrifying and dark spots on our proud history such as the creation of the atomic bomb. In a more personally significant way, the competitive spirit also leads us to build up respect for those we cannot hope to overcome, often creating invincible heroes in our heads, as is the case in the story. However, in almost all cases and forms of competitiveness, the changing of superiority leads to either a refueled desire to be the best, or a newfound respect and recognition for the party that passes us. "
dark shadow is offline   Reply With Quote