Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you organize your physical music collection?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #101 (permalink)
Automatic Slim
Music Addict

The options given are kind of vague, as they leave out many options. For example, I organize my CD collection rather broadly by genre. (My vinyls are in a box, horribly unorganized. They will eventually be replaced by CDs.) There's 4 sections:

metal/classic rock/grunge
jazz/blues
classical/ambient
miscellaneous

Within those broad sections, I sort by artist alphabetically. However, I don't organize the albums further. The advantage is that I can find roughly similar sounds easily, yet still retain the advantages of alphabetical organization.

However, I almost never use the original CD. I make a physical backup and a digital backup after purchase and use those.

On my PC, I have several ways to organize my collection in I-Tunes. There's by genre and artist, of course. I love using Smart Playlists. Using Smart Playlists, I can keep Agalloch, Reverend Bizarre, and Judas Priest in separate metal subgenres, yet conglomerate them into just 'metal'. Same with jazz subgenres. I also use Smart Playlists to organize by time period as well.