Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you organize your physical music collection?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #108 (permalink)
Automatic Slim
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
alphabetical CDs, digital stuff i have tried to split into genre playlists accurately, if you just listen to stuff off the main iTunes 'music' list too much gets lost in the shuffle. I am afraid to update iTunes because i think it destroys the old settings and i would be back to square one.

tried winamp several times and it pisses me off
Actually, you can export your playlists from I-Tunes and then import them again. This is useful when moving things to another computer, but not necessary if upgrading the version. Still, I've heard of problems with the latest version.

I like to divide my collection into subgenres and them set up Smart Playlists to combine these subgenres into a genre or other category. For example, I have 22 metal subgenres (Go ahead. Laugh!) in the main window, but I can make a Smart Playlist which will combine all those, plus Hard Rock into a single playlist without affecting the basic classification system. I also created a Smart Playlist to lump all the subgenres with extreme vocals, as well as an Unplayed playlist, which shows the tracks I've not listened to yet. I like this because I can both lump and split the music into various categories -- whichever works better for a particular usage.

I don't care for Winamp either. Media Monkey is better than I-Tunes, except that its version of Smart Playlists is far less useful than in I-Tunes.