Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 05:40 AM   #384 (permalink)
Captain Awesome
On A Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotesque Head View Post
No they didn't.

Beastie Boys have never ever been good rappers (you used the term rap, so I assume you're referring to rappers), they do, however, have fantastic production and variety on their albums, which can be equally attributed to their choice of producers (Dust Brothers, for example).

As for Public Enemy, as far as I'm aware, they helped to pioneer a new aggressively political approach to rapping - but in terms of the music itself that's more or less it (I may be very wrong with this).

I personally think you're underestimating Rakim's influence on Hip Hop. Literally all Hip Hop after Eric B. & Rakim bears his influence in it's rapping style (except instrumental Hip Hop, obviously), and it's not a stretch to call him the greatest rapper of all time (although there are other contenders, obviously).

I did say Rakim influenced Hip Hop on a musical level, not a mainstream popularity level - so Will Smith's grammy win is irrelevant.

Anyway, it's all opinions in the end so who cares.
i was half cut when i wrote that last post so you'll have to ignore most of it.

and i'm not talking on terms of lyrical ability. I'm talking about the people who helped evolve rap and take it to the next level, the beastie boys might have been terrible rappers (no where near as good as rakim) but they did more for rap because they created a completely different style. And public enemy (imo) did more for rap than rakim as well. But you already knew this due to my list and the constant back and forth in the last few posts lol
like i said rakim was in my original list but he didnt make the final cut, big deal. If i had listed 20 rappers he would be there.
Also, i think will smith IS a good rapper as far as entertainment goes although he's not lyrically that good (let's face it he's not really a rapper he's an entertainer). And he did more for rap/hip hop culture by bringing it to the masses and showing that you don't have to swear/cuss in rap records to make good music or talk about guns and violence.

I was talking about rap/hip hop culture overall. I wasn't rating them as lyricists. The same way i might say one band is influential to their genre but they can still be a crap band. You don't have to be amazing at creating music to influence it and help it evolve.

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."

"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote