Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #8373 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
he did, it's actually called The Midnight Organ Fight, very good album too I might add, you would probably like it Molecules.
ooh an official recommendation, i will be following that up

the Memphis Beatles, power pop 101, it has taken me too long to check these guys out. Alex Chilton was the definitive pop eccentric/control freak, notoriously putting band and producers through hell trying to get the perfect guitar sound. It payed off - you would never guess this was recorded in 1972 if you didn't know and they sound unnervingly close to the Posies who would come 20 years later. #1 Record is their debut and the only album featuring Chris Bell, Chilton's songwriting foil who left the group and ended up a member of the 27 Club.
Not everybody likes this kind of stuff, it's music that wears heart on sleeve and is a bit cheesy, albeit in the case of Big Star flawlessly executed. This album also has more than a touch of Roger McGuinn about it, who was something of a mentor to Alex Chilton

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote