Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater Presents: An Essential Guide To Modern Prog.
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Default Anteater Presents: An Essential Guide To Modern Prog.

Anteater Presents:
An 11+ Album Guide to Modern Progressive Rock & Metal

Greetings and salutations readers and forumers! Or, to be more specific, welcome to my (AKA Anteater's) modern guide to some of the more interesting highlights of ‘modern progressive rock’, a phrase that generally gets the average music enthusiast say something like this if brought up in conversation:

In order for everyone to avoid the idiocy that the picture above represents, I want you guys to realize that there are a good many hard working and worthwhile artists and groups out there in progressive rock/metal beyond The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Muse and Coheed & Cambria, etc. who are worth a few minutes of your oh-so precious time and attention, obscure or not.

But then again, that's why I decided to do this guide in the first place: To save you folks the trouble of wading through all the shit yourselves!

The following 10 or so reviews here will be fleshing out some of the more interesting sounds and ideas, from the early 90's up til today, that have been cultivated in today's oversaturated & generally lame progressive rock & metal scenes, a musical collective where far too many bands who actually manage to get their names out there (such as Dream Theater, IQ , Pendragon, Marillion, etc.) happen to be rather underwhelming and generic to people who are into music for more than just the technicality and fandom that many such bands proliferate.

In conclusion, lets stretch out our tentacles, keep our YouTube and/or Spotify handy, and enjoy the ride as I lay out a few guideposts for you guys to reference in your quests for prog. rock that doesn’t suck total assballs!

PS: Don't forget to download the compilation below!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essential Modern Prog. Compilation & Track List

MODERN PROGRESSIVE ROCK COMPILATION LINK - CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!!

1. Big Big Train - Evening Star (4:52)
2. Ritual - Waiting By The Bridge (4:40)
3. Advent - Your Healing Hand (8:39)
4. Mansun - Serotonin (2:33)
5. The Gourishankar - The Inexpressible Chagrin (6:56)
6. Frost* - Black Light Machine (10:07)
7. Moonlight - My own words (3:59)
8. Sigh - A Sunset Song (6:48)
9. Ozric Tentacles - Vita Voom (4:47)
10. Thieves' Kitchen - Om Tare (7:44)
11. King Crimson - Walking On Air (4:38)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eleven Progressive Guidepost Reviews

Going Overtime: Further Reading For The Modern Proggie

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 05-10-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote