Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater Presents: An Essential Guide To Modern Prog.
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Advent – Cantus Firmus (2006)

1. GK Contramundum (2:00)
2. Awaiting the Call. (5:10)
3. Parenting Parents (6:45)
4. Utter Once Her Name (5:30)
5. Remembering When (4:00)
6. Ramblin' Sailor (18:14)
7. Your Healing Hand (8:18)
8. Firmus Finale (4:40)
9. Rear View Mirror (3:34)
10. Alison Waits (A Ghost Story) (10:40)

New Jersey is not generally the first place that comes to mind when you think of progressive rock. Hell, its not a place that comes to mind for a whole lot of other things either. Imagine my surprise then that one of the most interesting standout bands working within the genre today call the place their home, a lineup that combine some of the cooler medieval stylings of Gentle Giant with the Baroque-classically influenced Procol Harum together under the moniker known as Advent.

Yes, I just compared this group to two prominent progressive rock bands from the past, but remember that ALL bands are influenced by artists, ideas, and styles from the past, regardless of the genre. In progressive rock’s case however, this is usually a curse and a turn-off to those who are looking for something meaty in a genre market that’s oversaturated with new releases every year.

Advent, thankfully, avoid many of the pitfalls that make a lot of modern progressive rock and metal rather boorish for two main reasons:

1. The technicality a lot of prog. bands seem to revel in is eschewed in favor of instrumental eclecticism and ambience. Flute, piano and a light symphonic wash provide often take center stage, building a delicious sense of atmosphere that remains engaging, yet they never forget the liquid guitar picking and pulsating basslines that make up their sonic foundation.

2. Outstanding vocals. Although a fair amount of progressive rock bands from the late 70’s and onward have adopted, or atleast taken a stab at, Gentle Giant’s trademark point-counterpoint vocal delivery, most of these groups, such as Spock’s Beard and Salmon, treat it as a gimmick and throw it about randomly on only one or two songs. Advent, however, doesn’t pull any punches. When they sing, you can expect point-counterpoint for sure in almost every track that isn’t purely instrumental.

Cantus Firmus, when all is said and done, is the splendid result of people playing what they love concisely yet with a sense of adventure and a grand vision of sailing the big blue sea. And most importantly of all, it stands out despite its flaws, which is really all that matters in this kind of genre. They're hella good live too!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 04-29-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote