Music Banter - View Single Post - Best classic rock hidden gems
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Where do you dig all these bands out from?
I have an obsession with "discovering" the more obscure bands, especially those whose vinyl albums sell for silly money.

They tend to sell for high prices because of their rarity - which means you almost never get to hear them on the radio or anywhere else, because so few people have actually heard of them.

I've discovered that they sell for such huge amounts because collectors like to have a complete catalogue of particular labels - e.g. Vertigo "Swirl" - like stamp collecting. These vinyls tend to grow in value over the years - e.g. both of Catapilla's albums - even a damaged copy sells for hundreds of pounds.

Such a pity to horde great potentially great music and never listen to it.

The ones I go for and recommend are the ones I actually like, and fortunately, you can find most of it on Blogspot, because they're so obscure that record companies can't be bothered with them as they make nothing out of the outrageously huge sums that these records trade for

For example, this copy of "Tips Zum Selbstmord" by Necronomicon ended on eBay by someone using the Buy It Now feature.

I can't remember if it's 200 or 500 copies that exist, but it's something like that. The band financed an exact re-release a couple of years ago on a different label, and all copies went within a day or two. I made sure to get mine

The music is rough as hell, as it was recorded live onto a 4-track - but it's simply amazing, if you can get past that and the limited production;

Here's youtubes of selected tracks of the others from my last post;

Jeronimo's 1970 hit;

Arthur Brown at Glastonbury's first festival in 1971;

Focus' first hit;

The Scorpions promo from 1973;

Nice instrumental from Bakerloo's debut in 1969;

Catapilla, from their second album (1972);

Dr Z (1971);

Indian Summer (1970);

T2 (1970);

...and Harsh Reality (1969)!;

ENJOY - there are so many more I could dig up

Last edited by Certif1ed; 10-16-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote