Music Banter - View Single Post - Are Punk Sub-Genres Needed?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpo View Post
Do you feel punk sub-genres add anything? Do they really make it easier to catalog bands? Are they even needed? Do most people even apply them correctly?

I suppose I can understand a handful of them. Pop-Punk, Horror Punk, Hardcore, etc. Fusion genres make since to have their own sub-genre. But Street punk, skate punk, garage punk. Do these labels actually add any value?

What are your thoughts?
That assumes that Punk is needed.

In all sincerity, genres are an extension of adolecent us-vs.-them-ism and only serves to senselessly divide music along lines that are neither

a. accurate or
b. useful.

The idea of musical genre is shocking in its longevity because bands more increasingly move toward "indescribable" and while I'm sure thats great for recod labels (a sound you've never heard before!) it doesn't help us.

In the most general sense, music genres at the macro level allow us to sum up peoples tastes a little quicker, it allows for more directed (or rejected) conversation from the jump.

I like roots, jazz, noise, whatever.

But lets be honest with one another, if its a website, the douchebag probably put songs/bands/albums in his username and you can sum him up in a quick second. If its IRL, well...everyones prejudice in this town.

"nice ripped jeans toolbag, how's the Whitesnake collection going."

Also: Welcome to Musicbanter~!