Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Horror Movie Ever Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #154 (permalink)
Captain Awesome
On A Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpo View Post
I didn't see Halloween until the late 90s. It felt very dated and cheesy. It reminded me of an episode of Are you afraid of the dark more than a proper horror movie.

It's a perfect example of why it's so difficult to watch a lot movies outside of their release dates. If you don't have a time context for the era, you'll be drawn out of the movie.
I wasnt born until the 80's i saw halloween in the year 98/99 (roughly) and to me although it was dated it was more terrifying than any other "horror" movie at the time. I don't find halloween dated, sure the clothes are different and the music but there's nothing slapping you in the face saying "im 3 decades old" like there is with so many other movies. But maybe that's just me.

Movie makers have forgotten how to make horror films, they just throw in as much gore as they can (not that i dislike gory movies). Halloween is a legendary piece of horror using various lighting techniques, creating ominous shadows, blurry images of a killer pasing through the dark room, a chilling and extremely haunting soundtrack to create an atmosphere where i am literally ****tin my awesome self.
it's the astute observations that made halloween fans **** themselves and lie awake at night for the following several days. It's the very small details and the fact that (in the first movie at least) the concept is horrifyingly realistic and could actually happen. It's not a vampire alien from hell tearing off arms and beating people to death with them. It's a psychotic serial killer set loose in a small town. A human (or "more evil than human" :p ).

I have a collection of just under 100 horror dvd's and i've seen more than i've bought and yet halloween is the only one that scares me no matter how many times i see it. I laughed at the exorcist, i literally fell on the floor with laughter at the cinema when watching final destination, i feel asleep when watching scream, i watch the saw movies simply for the soundtrack and to see how it ends (if it ever does) and the friday the 13th movies bore the hell out of me. The list is endless.

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."

"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote