Music Banter - View Single Post - AFI-Crash Love
Thread: AFI-Crash Love
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
TPMcGee
Groupie

Post AFI-Crash Love

Keep in mind if you read this that I'm a) tired and b) have the plague, so if it makes no sense, that's why.

Having listened all the way through once, I think my final verdict is, eargasm. This album is what Decemberunderground should have been. It's nowhere near what I expected from them. It isn't even what I wanted from them. But somehow, it seems to be what I needed to hear from them.

Musically, from a technical standpoint, they've gone above and beyond anything they've created before. Lyrically, Davey addresses his views on society with brutal honesty that is apparent in his delivery. Instead of listening strong points (there are too many of them), all I can do is say the weakest tracks are probably Beautiful Thieves and To Shy To Scream. The rest of the album, starting with the soaring Torch Song and ending with It Was Mine (the backing vocals on this took some getting used to, but it's really a gorgeous song) is AFI at its best.

Yes, this will probably be the album that will help them break into the mainstream even more than Decemberunderground, but with the hard work they've put in over the last 18 years and the musical power of Crash Love, they really do deserve it.

I should probably add track rankings, shouldn't I?
Torch Song 10/10: gorgeous tack. I just can't describe it.
Beautiful Thieves 5/10:It's decent. Just, eh.
End Transmission 10/10: See description for Torch Song. Fantastic lyrics.
To Shy To Scream 4/10: I can't really decide why I don't like it.
Veronica Sawyer Smokes 6/10: not terribly original. Stylistically, it's The Smiths written by AFI.
Okay, I Feel Better Now 8/10: I enjoy this song. I have yet to figure out why.
Medicate 7/10: the transition to the bridge still pisses me off.
I Am Trying Very Hard To Be Here 8/10: really catchy tune, but reminds me a bit of Miss Murder.
Sacrilege 9/10: This song slapped me in the face when I heard it. Reminds me of old school AFI, but with better music. Might offend some.
Darling, I Want To Destroy You 9/10: I'm running out of things to say about these tracks.
Cold Hands 7/10: I love the lyrics. The music doesn't really speak to me as much.
It Was Mine gets 10/10: This song just builds in power and tension throughout. It's an epic closing. And I mean epic in the original sense of the word, not the way I use it all the time.

Not my best work...I know...but I haven't yet purchased the album...I've just listened to it on youtube...maybe once I actually own it I'll update this

[I]Gabs is a lifelong music lover, mosher & writer. Her hobbies include sarcasm, music & maintaining her menegarie of small animals. You can find more of Gabs at tightpantsmcgee(.)blogspot(.)com

But wait! There's more! Follow me on twitter!
TPMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote