Music Banter - View Single Post - A Passage In Time - Dead Can Dance Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Just wrapped up a first listen of this, and I totally agree with your review, it's an absolute stunner of an album. I liked Spleen and Ideal and Into the Labyrinth (the two I already had, plus Spiritchaser which I'm yet to listen to) a lot, but I think this might just be the album that's officially converted me to an obsessive fan. There's just such a unique elegance and grace about this, to the point that I'm actually a bit ashamed it's taken me so long to find it.

Personal favourites from this album - Host Of Seraphim, Chant Of the Paladin, Echolalia and Ulysses.

Anyone who might be reading this post and has no idea who DCD are, get this album for chrissakes.

Top album hey. If you ever get to see a 1992 docu movie called Baraka it made brilliant use of Host Of Seraphim. This was the first time I had ever heard the song. I went to see the film on release on the silver screen and the scene along with the song was utterly spellbinding. One of those goose bump moments that live with one forever. After that I had to explore the world of Dead Can Dance and the rest is history as they say. One thing we never mention when praising this album is the album cover. Somehow right.

If you are going to explore the world of DCD I would actually recommend that you start from the beginning in chronological order. Spiritchaser is a better album to finish with. It has something very final about it that feels correct to the hardcore fan. It could be construed as a weaker album when played side by side with Spleen And Ideal and The Serpents Egg and that would be doing it a disservice.

Also IMO Zarks is a tad harsh on Aion. I actually rate it side by side with The Serpents Egg, Into The Labyrinth and Spleen and Ideal. But then I am just a hardcore DCD fanatic so really my opinion counts for diddly squat haa haa!