Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Reflection
Thread: Self Reflection
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I've had a few periods of self-reflection, a couple as a result of events that felt rather life-changing or even wrecking when they happened, especially the last one which was a bit of a personal crisis where I felt like the bottom of my world had dropped out and my existence had changed for the worse forever.

I don't want to get too far into details, but I used to be very sort of happy-go-lucky. I didn't worry much about consequences, I was a lot more cynical and egocentrical (I've always had a lot of friends, so that wasn't the problem though) and I wasn't too critical with the things I believed in and accepted into my life. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's clear to me now looking back that the "me" back then wasn't built on solid foundations. I came crashing down when things I did had some pretty bad consequences and once my innocence was lost, things could never go back to the way they were. However, I did have the strength to fight it all and pick myself up. I'm blessed (some would say cursed) with an amazing stubborness and inability to give in to any problem, whether deeply personal or practical. Still, it did screw up the better parts of a year or two at least.

In my late teens and up through my earlier 20s, I think I rebuilt myself quite a bit. I became more compassionate, I thought a lot more about consequences and I'd become a lot more realistic. My logic is now much more in charge of my life than my feelings because I trust them more Another big change was that I became very sceptical to the things I believe in and accept as truth. It was also around this time I rediscovered my fascination and love for science which brought my life down the path I've been on since. In essence, I took what was left of that house of cards and built a fortress which is doing pretty well, but I'm still adding bricks to it.

I think with age and experience and the way I've redefined myself a bit over the years, I've gained a lot more confidence and I know now that if the things I experienced then were to happen again, I would be able to deal with it much easier than I did at the time.

Anyways - screwing up is part of being young. It's a great way of learning and I think some people, like me, sometimes have to make a mistake or two before we get it, even if that turnover can be quite unpleasant for quite a while.

Sorry if I'm being a bit vague

Anyways, you have reserves of strength you can tap into when you need to and be critical to the things you believe in/accept into your life. Think of consequences and how what you do affect the quality of your life, whether it being your choice of religion or just what you do to make money.