Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Taught??
Thread: Self Taught??
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #137 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
And besides, nobody has a 'unique' style on their own. Its kind of pretentious to go around saying 'I am original and unique, a special snowflake', considering a whole bunch of people probably sound very similar to you in the end.
but when you've spent the better part of a decade working towards a unique sound and you get proper musicians asking you 'no offense, but do you actually know how to play guitar like a normal person?'. i don't think it's pretentious to say you've managed to develop a unique and original style

and in terms of post-modern theories. yes, all styles draw from other elements, then again if you look back enough all music goes back to the first cavedude who tapped rocks on a log to get some cavechick to dance for him. then again we also live in a heavily categorized society so even when you do manage to create something new someone will create a new sub-genre by mashing a few relatively close styles into a new term, like post-hardcore-freejazz-shoegaze-surf rock... but that's only if you tremolo pick single note leads a lot otherwise it's just post-hardcore-freejazz-shoegaze-garage rock. there's a DIFFERENCE... sub-genres are IMPORTANT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote