Music Banter - View Single Post - Singing
Thread: Singing
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #63 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAndSilence View Post
truth of the matter is if you want to be a great singer (that is powerful AND consistent) you have to practise singing techniques for at least half an hour every day. it's like learning an instrument; the process is slow. you must do vocal exercises and it takes at least 6 months for good results. i went to uni and had vocal lessons however i never practised them, and i still don't. so i know the techniques but haven't bothered practising them. i'm too lazy. luckily my voice has a pretty good range naturally, but i still struggle sometimes with any note over A5 in my chest register (since you're actually meant to use mixed register) and an F#6 in falsetto.

the main aspect of singing effortlessly is keeping you larynx stable... focus on that and the rest really comes naturally. i've never run out of breath while singing.
Hello OceanAndSilence,
I feel your advice to practice at least 30 minutes every day is very good. During the last 2 weeks, while I was practicing for a musical, singing an hour every day helped me improve my consistency, such as my ability to keep my throat position stable as I sang lower and then higher notes (preventing a break in the sound as I switch from one to the other).

We finally had our two performances last Thursday and Friday, and I felt I was able to sing the songs much better than I was able to sing them 2 weeks ago, before we began daily singing practices. I will try to continue to practice regularly.

During run-throughs and the actual performances, I found I had to remember two things before every song: (1) take a full, deep breath, and (2) open my mouth quite wide (as if I were going to exclaim, "Ahh!") before the first note. I actually wrote "Breathe! Open!" at the top of each song to remind myself. It turned out we used microphones for singing, so I didn't have to project as much as I thought I'd need to, yet the deep breath and the reminder to open my mouth wide helped ensure I actually got a clean first note with my throat in more of an open, yawning position.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote