Music Banter - View Single Post - 1 yr down
Thread: 1 yr down
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLblackmetahead View Post
I've been playing guitar for a little over a year and I'm in need of advice. I'm a self taught player that didn't have the patience to learn chords or the boring things that goes with playing. Instead I jumped right in and started learning the songs that I love. I started learning Iron Maiden songs and other metal bands and can play the songs except for the solos (maybe because I'm not skilled enough or haven't taken the time to learn and practice the solos) so I'm basically a rhythm guitarist. What songs should I be able to play with a year under my belt?
playing music is not a sport / competition.

you should be able to play as many songs as you like after a year, especially if you're ignoring chords and solos. that leaves what... power chord riffs and muted open strings? keep in mind, self imposed ignorance of the basics will go a long way in keeping you OUT of most band situations.

as for solos, no one is born 'skilled enough' to just play it, practice is called practice for a reason. it's up to you to do it in a way that's entertaining to yourself. no one else is going to fret the notes and pluck the strings for you. it's just a matter of trying it out, seeing what parts of the solo you can nail, which ones you screw up, then trying do screw up a little less everytime until you're nailing the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote