Music Banter - View Single Post - WolfAtTheDoor's movies that he definitely should've seen before... review.
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

wow...some great choices here, a few of which i agree with.

while i thought Apocalypse Now was an awesome movie i still think Full Metal Jacket blows it out of the water, and hence i can't really come to terms with it as the "definitive" Vietnam War era movie.

i agree completely with you about the Usual Suspects, i found it dull and intentionally slow at times. in addition, it has absolutely no replay value. try watching it again -- i guarantee you'll shut it off within ten minutes.

Spirited Away was a good, but not great movie. if you want to see Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece you have to watch Princess Mononoke, which i can say with my full confidence that it's the best anime flik i've seen. at least in comparison to Spirited Away it's much darker, much bolder, and intended for an older audience.

This Is Spinal Tap may be a hallmark classic of the eighties, if not just for the fact that it parodies the music culture of the time so ****ing well. you might not appreciate the anachronisms here and there but honestly i feel like it does better to convey the sense of desperation which occurred at the time than any outright "hilarious" movie could do.

i still have yet to see City of God and Groundhog Day myself so i can't really comment on them...