Music Banter - View Single Post - How do I become a conductor of an orchestra?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Musicophile
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncaaaaaan View Post
Well, I'm more interested in conducting a youth symphony orchestra, maybe a once-a-week-for-a-few-hours thing, while my main job is something like a music teacher.

So, given that its a youth orchestra I don't think the standards would be quite as high as something like the berlin philharmonic or w/e, and I won't have to be like grade 8 in every instrument.
Do a BA in music somewhere, a Conservatoire would probably be best, but don't discount the Universities. Have a look at the different courses, or call someone at the institution (there'll be information about the various elements of the course or at least someone's number you can call and talk to on the institution's website). Look for modules in 'Musical Direction' or similar.

Meanwhile practice the piano like crazy, and try and get as high grades as possible. Make sure you've got at least Grade five music theory too. A music A-level I expect would be pretty essential, music tech might serve in it's place, but not everywhere. A physics A-level is also useful for applying to some places. Speak to your music teacher at school about it too.

You could probably do some extra things too. Get in contact with the various youth orchestras in the country. The Halle in Manchester springs to mind. See what they can offer you, you might get an audition to play, or they might let you sit in on rehearsals and things. Try getting in contact with the BBC orchestras too. I remember going to the BBC philharmonic orchestra's rehearsal space in manchester to see a rehearsal when I was doing my A-levels. Show willing, try not to take up too much of people's time, be grateful and a lot of people will be pleased to help you.

When you've got your BA, you just need to do a PGCE for a year (music is a shortage subject at the moment too so there's a £9000 bursary for the PGCE as an incentive) then you can teach, and you'll (hopefully) have picked up the skills and contacts along the way to do what you want to do.
The Musicophile is offline   Reply With Quote