Music Banter - View Single Post - WolfAtTheDoor's movies that he definitely should've seen before... review.
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
WolfAtTheDoor
ironing your socks

Twilight... yes, really.

With the sexual awakening of another batch of pre-pubescent girls just around the corner (or, as some call it, 'New Moon') Twilight is firmly unavoidable, handsome vampires embedded into our culture as much as binge-drinking and First Class Stamps. It would be extremely easy to write Twilight off without ever having actually viewed it, based upon the criticisms it received upon release by every publication that didn't aspire to be Heat Magazine. The sight of those 14-year old lips quivering just as they did when High School Musical first reared its incredibly beautiful head was enough to put anyone off, especially those of us who didn't claim ownership of a vagina.

So, the good news and the bad news. The good news is that after sitting through 120 minutes of ripped abs and Robert Pattinson's hair, I have managed to maintain my heterosexuality. The bads news is that not only did I sit through the whole 120 minutes of ripped abs and Robert Pattinson's hair whilst maintaining my sexuality, I also actually enjoyed it.

Although Twilight never excels into greatness and remains a distinctly mediocre piece of film-making, the fact that it even managed to slightly exceed my expectations is commendable. Granted, the plot was wafer-thin and the central lovestory was devoid of charm, but as a forgettable piece of popcorn-fodder it was entertaining.

As the two leads, Kristen Stewart and Pattinson do a good job squeezing likeability out of two characters that are relatively unlikeable. However, Pattinson falters somewhat in portraying the mystique and magic that would be expected of a vampire, and his haunted 'look' is easy to mistake for a menacing scowl. This makes the chemistry between Bella and Edward seem a little awkward and forced. Twilight is definitely at its most entertaining when it finds itself combining reality with fiction. Bella's introduction to the Cullen's at the hands of a typical American high-schooler is a highlight, along with the field trip with a vampire. The cinematography is also good, perfectly capturing the gloomy aesthetic of the village.

As you know, Twilight is now officially a global phenomenon. Whilst it lacks the credentials to truly be a cinematic success, its cult fanbase will ensure that it continues penetrating the pop-culture consciousness. Even though it will always have its detractors, it is admittedly refreshing to see an original entry into the overcrowded chick-flick genre.

Rating:

5 Twilight fangirls.

Last edited by WolfAtTheDoor; 10-25-2009 at 08:29 PM.
WolfAtTheDoor is offline   Reply With Quote