Music Banter - View Single Post - Race/gender/sex. orientation and musical stereotyping
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Default Race/gender/sex. orientation and musical stereotyping

Prompted by proggyman's comment in the member's picture gallery, I thought it would be interesting to talk about how someone's race, gender or sexual orientation influences your perception of their musical tastes. I think in general, this is a pretty white hetero male dominated music forum so it's not unexpected that any deviation from the norm would be at least a little surprising. Now, I'm obviously from deep in the backwater so I haven't had much chance to mingle with people of different races but for some reason, be it through TV or internet or whatever, I've constructed a stereotype in which black people don't really listen to rock and roll, and especially not indie music. This is why I'm always a little pleasantly surprised when I see people who deviate from those expectations (like when Jay-Z was seen at a Grizzly bear gig).

As for my personal experiences with gay people (in Croatia mind you), I think there's a definitely higher percentage of people into mainstream pop music, a much smaller group of people into indie music, and and even smaller one into hard types of music (mostly industrial, which I suppose is the queerest of the hard rock genres). As far as my own tastes and stereotypes, I'd say that unlike the majority of musicbanter, I tend to be much more accepting of good mainstream pop and dance music.

Now, are my prejudice just that, baseless preconceptions or is there some truth to musical stereotyping? Is there a relation between your race/gender/orientation and the music you listen to? Are you the victim of any such stereotypes? Is this thread a little stupid/offensive? Thoughts?

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote