Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #191 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I think the most interesting thing here, although hardly not surprising, is that the some of the largest groups here are the non-believers, the undecided and the self-defined. I think in an environment of mixing cultures and societies which incorporates more and more empirical truths that contradict religious teachings, it seems the big religions are unraveling a bit. For example, I think people found it easier to accept the bible as truth in the old days. Now it's contradicted by so much - either scientific empirical facts or even other religions that we more frequently meet now that cultures are mixing. According to this poll, those who are religious now are likely to construct their own ideas rather than relying on the authoritive dogma of some church and I think this has been an increasing trend over the years.

I also think as the large religions unravel, they leave behind the spiritual gap they used to fill and things like science can't automatically fill that hole. For one, it deals with facts and not so much human experiences. Second, most people only know a little bit of science. To make your accumulated scientific knowledge capable of filling such a big role in your life, you may have to study the right fields and it might take years. You don't get it for free.

In Norway which ranks very low on the religious scale, this spiritual gap is being invaded by what's usually thought of as "alternative". Healing, ghosts, invisible helpers, past lives - all this has become increasingly popular in this country which I personally think is a bit depressing.