Music Banter - View Single Post - Race/gender/sex. orientation and musical stereotyping
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

i'm an asexual hominid and have encountered no prejudice. I have unreasonably high/wide standards so am used to disappointment when talking to anyone in Real Life about music; but still people will often surprise you by not conforming to the pointless stereotypes you secretly judge people by

Although i think in the UK, sadly, there are obvious class/geographical boundaries that all too often narrow what people are exposed to and the tastes they form; in the environment I inhabit of predominantly middle-class white youth (all of whom I would consider to be another generation to me 'culturally') there is a tendency toward popular chart 'indie' and this is reflected in the bands that perform at the union - there's very little variation.
I really delighted in the aggravation caused by Tinchy Stryder (sub-par urban pop/former grime MC) playing the other week, it brought an influx of chavs from the Norwich 'burbs and was the most fun i had for a while

All of this musical stereotyping is being affected by the free flow of all music on the internet you would hope, but most casual listeners don't have the time or inclination to explore and just stick to their own depressing spoonfed soundtrack until they drop. As far as i can see

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote