Music Banter - View Single Post - Race/gender/sex. orientation and musical stereotyping
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
I don't think it should be offensive to point out trends that are plain to see exist. As an example, since we have a "history of metal" thread - how many black musicians are mentioned in this thread? Very few - possibly only two I would think, which is Jimi Hendrix and Phil Lynott. Metal as a genre of music today is largely defined by white people like the members of Metallica and Black Sabbath. I'm not saying metal excludes black people, but it's not as much part of their cultural heritage. Look at the blues and it's a different story.
Eh, some of the more influential underground metal bands have black members. Suffocation and Blasphemy come to mind rather readily. Further, numerous 3rd world bands have had quite the impact (Sarco***o, Pentagram (Chile), etc..)....

The third world element is what really blows my mind. It's a bit amazing that some Brazilians, in the 1980s, were developing (and playing!) a rather innovative style of metal, together with some Americans, Norwegians, and Australians :p
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote