Music Banter - View Single Post - Race/gender/sex. orientation and musical stereotyping
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Now, are my prejudice just that, baseless preconceptions or is there some truth to musical stereotyping? Is there a relation between your race/gender/orientation and the music you listen to? Are you the victim of any such stereotypes? Is this thread a little stupid/offensive? Thoughts?
The musical stereotypes I have are these:
--"Rap music fans are more likely to be African American rather than another ethnicity."
--"Young Caucasian males in the Midwest listen to country and metal."
--"People who live in the country and on farms like country music."
--"16-year-old girls like pop and dance music."
--"Middle-aged Caucasian men like jazz."
--"Older people in their 60s and beyond listen to mostly classical."
I did have one male gay friend in Germany who loved musicals, which is the common stereotype.

As for myself, I am not sure if I fit musical stereotypes, if there are any, about female bisexual people. In general I don't like genres and classifications and instead enjoy music that seems unusual or quirky in some way, but emotionally compelling. Perhaps my musical tastes do relate to being bisexual: a person's category doesn't determine whether I feel drawn to that person; rather, the person's singular characteristics are especially important. Similarly, a particular song's characteristics may make me like it, regardless what genre it is.

I feel my age and particular upbringing had the most impact on my musical tastes. I rarely listen to music as a leisure activity, probably because I am very goal oriented and not good at relaxing (although MusicBanter is relaxing for me!). I grew up in a "classical" household and often felt bored by much of the classical music, especially long symphonies. As a young-un I felt pop and rock music music were usually "beneath" me because they seemed too vapid and focused only on sex and love. A genre I have always disliked (following my dad's affinities) is jazz. I find rap music tedious because it often seems very antagonistic and self-preening. I generally despise trance and dance music. Country music seems too saturated with gender stereotypes and trite topics. Metal is too harsh and gives me a headache. I don't care for musicals much, either, because the themes/tunes seem so simplistic. Oh...and I don't like opera, having sat through more Wagner operas than I care to remember. However, I probably like at least one song in every genre...and I will listen to a song so I can learn what makes someone else appreciate it, even if the song isn't one that appeals to me.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 10-22-2009 at 12:42 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote