Music Banter - View Single Post - Cardiacs
Thread: Cardiacs
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Default Cardiacs

Would be interested to see what MB's prog wizards think about this 30-year-old cult institution from my old hometown of Kingston Upon Thames.

Despite the fact that Tim Smith (the brains of the operation) has always vehemently rejected the 'progressive' label (he prefers simply 'pop' or 'psychedelic') it is a reasonable point to raise: there is a fondness for unusual chord progressions, chord modulation, and compressing the equivalent of a prog epic into 4 minutes or less... All with the energy of a '77 band. Cardiacs also opened for Marillion in the 80s, apparently Fish was heartbroken when the fans did not take to them...

It's very easy to stick labels on their sound but it is totally unique, the only comparisons I can come up with are the more anarchic, ambitious New Wavers like XTC and Split Enz, mixed with the avant-rock of Henry Cow etc.

There is little variation in the Cardiacs open-ended mentalist formula from what I have heard, and no, they NEVER slow down (well, no ballads at least). They are also ridiculously tight live.

I think this is as clear-cut a case of love 'em or hate 'em as you will ever encounter on this forum... Unacknowledged genius or bad acid trip in a fairground? Or are they just trying too hard? I don't think so personally, plus buried in the lyrical abstractions are some statements somewhere I am sure of it, which keeps me listening

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 10-22-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote