Music Banter - View Single Post - Race/gender/sex. orientation and musical stereotyping
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
abdullah424
Music Addict

I think a lot of what music you listen to has to do with geography as well as race. I grew up mostly in New Mexico and California so I've always had a more open mind when it comes to music than a lot of the black people I know.

Surprisingly though from what I've seen at shows and hanging out with my friends (I hang out with about an equal mixture of black and white people) is that alot more white people are into rap than black people. While black people do listen to and like rap the majority of the ones I know at least prefer R&B or soul music. On that same note most black people I know aren't really into any type of rock music but for a great deal of them I think it's just the lack of exposure to that genre. I've played music for people who told me they hated rock and would never listen to it and they've actually ended up liking it.

I know a couple of *** people but I've honestly never paid attention to what they listened to so I really don't have a opinion on that.
abdullah424 is offline   Reply With Quote