Music Banter - View Single Post - Race/gender/sex. orientation and musical stereotyping
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Theres always gonna be exceptions to any stereotype but i think i would agree that stereotypes are there for a reason, at least to an extent.

Im white and British. Apart from a really terrible mainstream hip hop phase when i was a teenager (which only amounted to about 3 or 4 artists by the way) i've always struggled to get into the majority of hip hop that i have listened to but recently my horizons have started to expand. I would say the same is true for a lot of people like myself, you are more than likely gonna find a liking for British mainstream guitar bands or mainstream dance/trance than you are for hip hop.

I would say that most of the males my age who i grew up with were and are predominantly into fairly generic, commercial, accessible British indie bands. Girls my age were preominantly into generic, commercial, accessible pop music and boy bands. Now that we've all grown up the boy band lovin' has certainly reduced but i would say is still a big part of their music tastes, whether it be for nostalgic reasons or what. These girls are the kind of girls that spam the hell out of Facebook every Sunday night with The X Factor related chatter and the same goes for any show like that, like Pop Idol, Britans Got Talent etc.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote