Music Banter - View Single Post - Alice in Chains...
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #320 (permalink)
Phillyboy
Music Addict

[QUOTE=mr dave;753820]Jerry Cantrell?

maybe pay closer attention to the credits. there are only a handful of songs solely credited to Staley. Cantrell on the other hand is credited on just about everything the band ever put out. half of it on his own (especially early on - all the songs everyone knows from Dirt are Cantrell's)

i get the impression some people want to elevate Staley's status to match Cobain's and that's simply not the case. they were 2 junkies who fronted rock bands around the same time, that's it. Staley was really good, but not great.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said except for what was highlighted of course. Any true fan of AIC knew that Cantrell was the master mind behind the band.

But Layne was a truly amazing singer in all his projects, and vocally superior to Cobain. The few songs he did write on the 1st 2 records were pretty good he had nothing on Cantrell lyrically.

I have finally gotten around to listening to the new record, and I find DuVall's voice to be eerily similar to Layne's. I'm still not sure if I like it or not. I was a huge fan of Layne and was really hurt when he died, but I may be able to accept DuVall eventually, even if I have to pretend it's Layne hahaha.
Phillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote