Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #195 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Science doesn't really unravel religion for me. a 2,000 year old book, written by primitive tribes who weren't up on the science of their time, never mind mine aren't expected to know everything, and its perfectly reasonable to me that they have a little odd explanations for some things.

Where science does contradict religion its very easy to conclude, if you're religious and have a clue that there are some things people just can't grasp about a world they've never seen. ****, people were impressed with Hippos since they were discovered until extremely late into modern zoological expeditions. Silverback/Lowland gorillas are in the same boat.

Where religion unravels for me is its own failure to be honest with themselves, put more emphasis on the message rather than the peripheral garbage. People tend to like what Jesus was for - which is the point. Not what people have ascribed to his theories which is what causes problems.
I think personal interpretation of religious texts are well and fine, but when I'm talking about unraveling of religions, I'm thinking of more specific belief structures like the catholic church and it's dogma. It was based on the idea that the bible is true, but today the dogma is changing rapidly and the church for example now accepts the theory of evolution. They accept that the earth is billions of years old. That means that the bible contains stuff which is not true and how do you then decide what to believe in?

That question might not be too hard for you to deal with on a personal level, but if you were the spiritual authority of millions who are also struggling with the same things, it's a different story and over time, I think it would weaken your church.

I think that's part of the downfall of the protestant church here as well. With so much not being clear, people have to make up their minds rather than follow strict dogma and they "bud off" and figure things out for themselves.