Music Banter - View Single Post - Kayleigh's Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
FETCHER.
Nae wains, Great Danes.

GLASVEGAS
Glasvegas are a Scottish band, who formed in 2003. In surprisesurprise, Glasgow.
Band members:
James Allan, Vocalist/Rhythm guitar
Rab Allan, Lead guitar/Backing vocals
Paul Donoghue, Bass guitar/Backing vocals
Caroline McKay, The drummer.

This review isn't necessarily a review about how good the songs produced are or analysis of lyrics etc. It will be partially that, but thats not what it's all about, it's getting across that I want you to download it!!! haha.
I want to review them, not only because they are scottish, but because to me.. They are unbelievably unique in my opinion, I don't think I've heard a band/artist which sing in accent. But Glasvegas do, and maybe it's because I'm scottish I especially love them, probable. Nevertheless great band, great ideas, and they have an amazingly unique advantage.

GLASVEGAS - GLASVEGAS

1. Flowers And Football Tops
2. Geraldine
3. It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry
4. Lonesome Swan
5. Go Square Go
6. Polmont On My Mind
7. Daddy's Gone
8. Stabbed
9. S.A.D. Light
10. Ice Cream Van

From what I've gathered from simply listening to Glasvegas. They're from roughly the same area as me, I know this because Polmont (track 6) is a young offenders institution which is very local to me, its basically a jail for young people.
anyhoo...

Flowers and Football tops, ties a nursery rhyme in with it (I'm sure it's a nursery rhyme, correct me if I'm wrong.)

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
I hope you notice
How much I loved you
How could they take my sunshine away

the song is mostly about a father worrying about his song not being home yet, the police come to his door etc.
I mostly think that the songs name came from the fact that when someone dies (Car crash, suicide, drowning etc.) Flowers and personal football tops are placed at the site where the person had died.. It's a common thing in scotland, and until i really listened to it, I never understood it.. Or knew what it was about. I really realise now that it's the perfect title for the song of a boy who has died through whatever reasons.

Geraldine has a more upbeat eh.. beat compared to the rest of Glasvegas' songs (most are about sad/depressing things) Geraldine is the name of the social worker in this song.. and he sings about how she helps him take his prescription etc, its all really pathetic sounding, but it's an absolute winner of a song.

It's my own cheating heart that makes me cry is another example of a song that uses childish sayings/nursery rhymes in it,

"liar liar liar liar pants on fire"
and also
"tick tock stop the clock"

he also makes a reference to an Oasis song, I'm unsure wither it's deliberate or not, still he mentions "Whats the story morning glory" I can't get across how great I think this album is honestly.

I'm going to miss some songs out okay?

next one:

Go Square Go right so, if I said "square go" to someone it would indicate I wanted to fight them (for those who don't know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
A fair fight, the implication being of no-interference by either sides mates.
what I also like about this song as it takes a saying renound in club culture and they put it in to their song (obviously it's going to appeal to me )
"Here we, here we, here we fucking go!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
Often chanted within nightclubs and at large dance events when a top DJ such as Paul Van Dyk or Tiesto spins a particularly good tune. Often accompanied by people holding up placards with the word "tune" written upon it.
"Here we, here we, here we fucking go!"
Just makin' sure you believe me. Go Square Go, could possibly be a contender for my favourite Glasvegas tune.

I'm thinkin this review thing is getting long, so one more tune to discuss

Daddy's gone speaks about his dad is his hero, which is sweet. Then it goes on to sing about how hes never there for him and all he wanted was "a kick about the park" which is like taking a football and playing just the 2 of them. He also sings about all the things he wishes he could have done with his dad if only he were there for him. Then the song goes on to chant
"Forget yer Da, he's gone"

multiple times, the lyrics are pretty sad, but the song overall doesnt make me feel sad at all, I don't really know what I feel in all honestly, the desire to hug my dad? Yeah kind of. the desire to dance? No not really. I don't know whats special about this song. But it's got something there.

Just read this over, don't like the review. It's pretty poor, Glasvegas may be generic etc. but I assure you, they don't disapoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.

Last edited by FETCHER.; 10-26-2009 at 02:45 PM.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote