Music Banter - View Single Post - Race/gender/sex. orientation and musical stereotyping
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidMC1982 View Post
I think pretty much everybody can be put into one of five categories;

1) Those who listen to whatever is on the radio.

2) Those who are limited to a specific genre.

3) Those who have developed their tastes and are limited to a subset of genres and bands.

4) Those that have a diverse taste in music but have only scratched the surface of most genres.

5) Those that are musically experienced in almost every way.

If I had to apply stereotypes to the above categories, I would say:

1) Predominantly women.

2) Predominantly teenagers through to mid-twenties.

3) 40+ Dads.

4) More difficult to explain (see below).

5) Predominantly men (see below).

Dave
Dave, I also liked this explanation you gave, and definitely agree with the truth of Category 3 (based on my observations), although often it seems to me that teens may be fixated on a certain genre since they are young and just haven't had as much time to explore others. Plus, they are in a "learn myself/express myself/find myself" through music stage, I think.

I'd probably classify myself as a member of Category 4 since I don't listen to the radio, except when captive at work, and I don't really listen to any one genre. Plus, I think your explanation of Category 4 fits me perfectly, heh heh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
This did remind me of a time at work though, when Gladys Knight's "Midnight Train to Georgia" came on the radio and I started singing it before Gladys got around to it. The black data entry guy was lookin' at me all crazy, and at first I thought it was because of my awesome (translate: absolutely terrible) singing, but as it turns out he just couldn't fathom a white girl knowing the words to a Gladys Knight song. It really surprised me to be honest. In this day and age when there are so many outlets to explore all types of music, I wouldn't be surprised by anyone's taste in music and in alot of ways I think it's strange that people still hold on to these musical stereotypes.
Cute story, nonsubmissivewife, and a valid observation!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote