Music Banter - View Single Post - Theories about Sound
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

I've always done something kind of like this. As long as I can remember, a lot of the time I'm not actively engaged in something my mind listens to what's going on around me and sort of turns it into music. For example, when I'm in a city, I hear the cars, footsteps clacking, people shouting and talking, horns honking, sirens, etc. but I think of it more as chaotic music than random sound. Sometimes I'll turn it into a series of notes in my head, adding things in to my song as I hear more. It's kind of like musique concrete, but to be honest I never enjoyed that too much. I don't see the point to listening to a recording of normal sounds if it's the same thing all the time. You make a good point of not knowing what's going to come. It can make listening to the sounds of life very interesting. I also can usually find some sort of rhythm to sound, something to tap my foot to. It's rarely ever as chaotic as you might think, though I'm not sure if anyone would agree with me there. That said, I still listen to or make music almost every waking hour, so I don't spend too much time listening to the sounds around me.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote